International students can stay in New Zealand with a valid visa only. It is requirement for a language school to check this. If you want to study a full-time course in New Zealand that’s longer than three months in total duration, you’ll need a student visa.
Depending on your visa conditions, you may be able to work up to 20 hours a week during the term and full-time over the holidays.
You can see a full list of student visa requirements and apply for your visa online at the Immigration New Zealand website. As a guide, you’ll usually need to provide the following documents with your student visa application:
- An offer of place from an approved education provider
Evidence that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees
- Your passport and acceptable passport-style photo(s)
- Proof of funds – $15,000 per year, to cover your living expenses
- A copy of your air ticket home, or proof that you have enough money to buy one
- An accommodation guarantee, if you’re under 18
- Your visa application fee
- You may also be asked to provide a medical certificate and chest x-ray, and a police certificate.
Please have a look on the official website of immigrations New Zealand for more information:
For student handbook: A student visa is subject to conditions that may not be breached. Breaches need to be reported to immigrations New Zealand.